We at DVA send Metta to all the Thai people. May you all be healthy and safe. ?
DVA is very excited to announce the launching of our third countrywide Project in Thailand, joining our Projects in Sri Lanka and Vietnam, which have been going strong for several years. We are equally as excited to announce our new Director of the Project, Chirra Taworntawat, who likes to be called Banks. Banks is a former monk and is currently a Buddhist practitioner. He is a Ph.D. candidate in public health at the renowned Chulalongkorn University in Thailand. He is bilingual, speaking Thai and English, having attending University in the UK. Banks is also well known in Thailand for his vegan mentoring on his own YouTube Channel Coach Banks with over 287,000 followers. You can also find Coach Bank Chira on Facebook: เคล็ดลับง่ายๆรักษาโรคด้วยอาหาร และการเป็นเศรษฐีความสุข
Our plan in Thailand is to begin working with the approximately 300,000 monastics, the great majority of whom eat a great deal of animal flesh and animal products. Some of the biggest and most influential temples in Thailand are working with DVA by welcoming our presentations on the health benefits of a plant-based or, at least, a vegetarian diet. Banks and Dr. Ting made our first presentation at the renowned Wat (temple) Mahathat.
We are scheduling presentations at several Bangkok area temples, including Thepthidaram, Sutat, the Golden Buddha (Traimit Withhayaram), and Pathumwanaram. We are also planning to schedule at as many temples as possible. Of course, the length of the Coronavirus shutdown will determine DVA’s schedule in Thailand.
After another very productive meeting with the abbot of Wat Chet Lin in Chiang Mai, DVA will soon schedule a presentation. The abbot invited DVA hoping that we will help him persuade the other 21 monks to give up animals as food.
DVA’s Thailand Project Team
- Chirra Taworntawat (Banks), Director of Thailand Project, PhD. candidate in Public Health at Chulalongkorn, former monk, YouTube Channel personality.
- Varapol Chensavasdijar (Jop), Thailand Chapter Leader, Diplomat for Thai Government.
- Kalayanee Yimsiri, Diet Consultant.
- Heng Guan Hou, Entrepreneur, Vice President of Singapore Vegetarian Society.
- Dr. Wadchara Pumpradit, medical doctor, nutritional consultant.
- Venerable Anandajoti, member of DVA’s Advisory Board, Professor at International Buddhist College (IBC) in Songkhla, Thailand.